Task Type: Written assessment
Task Value: 40%/ marked of of 100
Task Length: 2000 (maximum) words – word count does not include the assessment title and reference list/bibliography/appendices
Task Aim/Rationale:The aim of this assignment is for you to demonstrate how the concepts and theories discussed in the course thus far, translate into leadership in ‘the real world’. Students will undertake a case study on an individual’s leadership style by interviewing a person working in a healthcare system leadership role and and relate and discuss your findings to an appropriate style/type of theory or model of leadership described in the academic literature. and write a paper summarising their knowledge gained from the interviews.
- You will need to arrange an interview with a person working in a leadership role within a health care organisation or setting. The interviewee might be someone you know in an organisation you are associated with (e.g. ward manager; imaging manager; chief medical technologist; director of nursing; mental health services team leader; director operations; community health team leader) or you might arrange an interview with someone you have not met before (this can help build your network of contacts and enables you to meet people working in areas of health that you might not be familiar with).
- The interview should be conducted face -to-face (where possible) or via phone, or a virtual meeting room.
- It is your responsibility to make all the arrangements for this interview, such as time, place and interview questions.
- Allow at a minimum about 30-40 minutes duration to gain enough information to be able to complete the interview assignment.
- You are required to inform the person the purpose of your interview and that you will be writing an assignment report on the interview and your findings by obtaining informed consent (verbally, or written) to conduct this interview from your interviewee on those terms. In your written report you may de-identify your interviewee if requested by them.
Prepare a case study. Your case study will be about an individual’s leadership style. As part of your case study you will need to interview a person working in a leadership role within a health care organisation or setting to find out about their leadership traits, skills and style(s). You will then compare your findings to the academic literature that set out a theory or model of the leadership style or type that you have identified in your case study and discuss what content from your interview was most salient to your understanding of leadership; what insights from the interview were most surprising, enlightening, or thought provoking.
The assignment should include the following:
References; Use and cite at least ten (10) contemporary, credible and appropriate, peer reviewed and scholarly literature to support your position and provide a reference list in the appropriate referencing format.
Appendices should include the following: